Program History: 2007-2008
In 2007-2008, 36 theater companies participated in Shakespeare in American Communities, providing high-school and middle-school students in underserved schools and communities throughout the United States exposure to high quality, professional productions of Shakespeare's plays. Participating theater companies received matching grants to help support performances and educational activities in their communities, states, or regions for students from at least ten schools.
2007 - 2008 Statistics
|States reached||46, plus District of Columbia & Virgin Islands|
|Educational activities conducted by theater companies||2,837|
|Total audience reached||272,980|
|Total children reached||250,650|
|Theater companies engaged||36|
|Educational toolkits distributed||10,000|
Participating Theater Companies
- The Acting Company (New York, NY) performed The Tempest.
- American Players Theatre (Spring Green, WI) performed T he Merchant of Venice and Much Ado About Nothing.
- American Shakespeare Center (Staunton, VA) performed The Taming of the Shrew.
- Aquila Theatre Company (New York, NY) performed Julius Caesar.
- Baltimore Shakespeare Festival (Baltimore, MD) performed A Winter's Tale.
- California Shakespeare Theater (Berkeley, CA) performed King Lear.
- Cincinnati Shakespeare Festival (Cincinnati, OH) performed The Taming of the Shrew, Julius Caesar, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Romeo and Juliet.
- Cyrano's Theatre Company & Edgeware Productions (Anchorage, AK) performed The Taming of the Shrew.
- Dog & Pony Theatre Company (New Orleans, LA) performed Othello.
- Georgia Shakespeare (Atlanta, GA) performed Romeo and Juliet.
- Idaho Shakespeare Festival (Boise, ID) performed Hamlet.
- Indiana Repertory Theatre (Indianapolis, IN) performed Hamlet.
- Kentucky Shakespeare Festival (Louisville, KY) performed Julius Caesar.
- Lantern Theater Company (Philadelphia, PA) performed Othello.
- Main Street Theater (Houston, TX) performed The Merchant of Venice.
- Milwaukee Shakespeare (Milwaukee, WI) performed Henry IV: Part 2, Twelfth Night, and Cymbeline.
- Montana Shakespeare in the Parks (Bozeman, MT) performed Othello.
- Nebraska Shakespeare Festival (Omaha, NE) performed Romeo and Juliet.
- New Stage Theatre (Jackson, MS) performed A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Specially selected to reach student audiences in Mississippi.
- Oregon Shakespeare Festival (Ashland, OR) performed The Tempest, The Taming of the Shrew, Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream and Othello.
- Orlando Shakespeare Festival (Orlando, FL) performed The Comedy of Errors, As You Like It, and Macbeth.
- The Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival at DeSales University (Center Valley, PA) performed Macbeth and The Taming of the Shrew.
- Seattle Shakespeare Company (Seattle, WA) performed Romeo and Juliet.
- Shakespeare & Company (Lenox, MA) performed A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- The Shakespeare Festival at Tulane (New Orleans, LA) performed The Taming of the Shrew.
- Shakespeare Santa Cruz (Santa Cruz, CA) performed Romeo and Juliet.
- Shakespeare Theatre Company (Washington, DC) performed The Taming of the Shrew and Julius Caesar.
- The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey (Madison, NJ) performed Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- St. Louis Black Repertory Company (St. Louis, MO) performed Othello.
- The Theater at Monmouth (Monmouth, ME) performed Macbeth.
- Theatre for a New Audience (New York, NY) performed Antony and Cleopatra.
- Trinity Repertory Company (Providence, RI) performed Richard III.
- Utah Shakespearean Festival (Cedar City, UT) performed Romeo and Juliet.
- Walltown Children's Theatre (Durham, NC) performed Romeo and Juliet (Romeo y Julieta).
- The Warehouse Theatre (Greenville, SC) performed A Midsummer Night's Dream and Romeo and Juliet.
- Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum (Topanga, CA) performed The Tempest and A Midsummer Night's Dream.